Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bohjalian's "The Double Bind"

I just finished The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian. I've read several books of his, like Buffalo Soldier and Before You Know Kindness, so I had a sense of what it'd be like. It came highly recommended by someone whose judgment I trust, too.

For the most part, I liked it. I'm a psychology nerd and I love any kind of psychology thriller/ mystery/ story, so this inherently appealed to me. But I was SO disappointed when the end came and the twist that I was waiting for turned out to be something that I had already picked up on in one of the earliest chapters. I was waiting for the author to prove me wrong by some ingenious twist (since the person who recommended it to me said that there was a great twist at the end), but the actual ending was pretty similar to what I had in my mind all along, so that was a bummer -- despite the fact that it was cool from a psychology perspective!

Also, I would really have appreciated a heads-up as to the fact that Bohjalian expects the reader to have a good knowledge of the plot and characters of The Great Gatsby prior to reading The Double Bind. I read the book one summer when I was 17 and obsessed with literary classics, but it's been almost 8 years and my mind is way too cluttered with other stories to have kept track of any details. If I'd known that knowing that story would have helped my understanding of this book, I would have looked it up online before starting it.

All said and done though, a satisfying read. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment